Sunday, December 03, 2006

Quotations #089

"None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but licence." John Milton, The Tenure of Kings and Magistrates (1649)

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." -- Edmund Burke, attributed (1784)

"Men will not be content to manufacture life; they will want to improve on it." -- J. D. Bernal, The World, the Flesh and the Devil (1929)

"I bet you if I had met him [Trotsky!] and had a chat with him, I would have found him a very interesting and human fellow, for I never yet met a man that I didn't like." Will Rogers, 6 November 1926

"Love, in the form in which it exists in society, is nothing but the exchange of two fantasies and the superficial contact of two bodies." -- Nicolas-Sébastian Chamfort, Maximes et Pensées (1796)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Burke quote.



Anne Zook

Ahistoricality said...

Eminently quotable fellow. Ought to read something by him one of these days, I suppose.