Tuesday, May 01, 2007

You were loved

Christy Simpson has left us. Barely fifty years old, she had a career as a pediatric intensive care nurse, a calling as a singer/songwriter, and a warm soul. I got to know her because I married a friend of hers, and those too-rare visits were always sweet moments.

In addition to losing a friend, we've had to explain things a bit to the Little Anachronism: it's the first time anyone has died whose music is a presence in our home and (though it was too long ago to have made an impression on a growing brain) who the little one got to visit in person. On the other hand, we've been bringing up Christy's music again; it's been too long.

My favorite of her songs is "The Magic Muffin Dance" (aka "Seven Lucky Bunnies"), but it's a bear to transcribe. Here's one I can do more quickly:

Know That I am loved.
by Christy Simpson

I've got a cat. He's black and white
Sometimes he wakes me up in the middle of the night
His name is Joshua, and he wants a drink, he hops right up into the bathroom sink.
He purrs and then I turn the water on and I know I'm loved

I've got a dog: we walk each day
She eats things off the ground: it's like a big buffet
She's always glad to see me when I've been away
Five minutes, and hour or a very long day.
She wags her tail and she smiles at me and I know I'm loved

I've got a bear: her name is mabel
She spends most of her time on my bedside table
When I go on a trip she always comes along
She's polite and listens when I sing my song.
She lets me squeeze her tight in the middle of the night
I know I'm loved

My mom and dad live far away
Sometimes they call on the telephone just to say
"The weather is cold. We've got the flu.
Between the zoo and the aquarium there's lots to do,
We miss you and honey, we're so proud of you."
then I know I'm loved

I've got a best friend: her name is Boda
Sometimes we sit and talk and we share a soda
She lets me cry when I feel sad, and when she hugs me tight it doesn't seem so bad
We laugh and play, it sends my blues away, and I know I'm loved

So if you're feeling alone
If you're feeling kind of blue
Well, here's a little something that you might do:
Take a look around at the folks you know and consider all the little things they do to show you that you're special, and you'll know you're loved. (2x)


It's a simple message, but it's exactly the kind of song that works: the simple message is set in concrete details -- real ones, mostly -- which make it come alive. Christy also set Shel Silverstein's They've Put a Brassiere on the Camel to music, and makes it her own in the process. Yes, both songs are on the same CD.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Writing for children is a special gift. Her lyrics you posted are warm and approachable, without being trite or condescending. I'm glad you have her music to remember her by.

elle said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. She sounds amazing.