Wednesday, October 24, 2007

This just in....

In 2006, this was a really useful blog. In a calculation based on number of posts, number of inbound links from other blogs and especially inbound links from high-ranking blogs, Ahistoricality was ranked 24th in usefulness to answer the question "If I can read 100 blogs, which should I read to be most up to date?" I actually made the cut for high efficiency, too. It's a good thing I was ranked high, because I don't read any of the other blogs in the top 100, unless someone I do read links to them.

What does it mean? Well, if I ever go looking for a paid blogging gig, it might be worth something, I suppose. Anyone looking to hire a history-minded news junkie with a digital photography habit?

P.S.: All you folks coming here from the various reprints of the list of influential blogs might be a little disappointed to learn that I'm on hiatus, more or less. Sorry, but I highly recommend working through my blogroll if you want to learn something!

Ref: Cost-effective Outbreak Detection in Networks
Jure Leskovec, Andreas Krause, Carlos Guestrin, Christos Faloutsos, Jeanne VanBriesen, Natalie Glance.
ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (ACM KDD), 2007.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! What a fabulous showing. It proves, I think, that you're adding unique content to the universe, something of which you can be very proud.

I also don't read any of the others on the list.

John McKay said...

Number three on the list, "Science and Politics" is an old blog by Bora Zivcovic (Coturnix of "A Blog Around The Clock") that he stopped using over a year ago.

Still, despite their flawed methodology, you deserve congrats.

Ahistoricality said...

Thanks, folks.

John, I don't think the methodology is flawed, so much as they didn't create what bloggers really want and expect: a real-time, constantly-updated, dynamic ranking system. What they did was take the data from 2006, and, because the blogosphere is such a dynamic thing, that's always going to introduce slippage.