Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Why NOT Sue?

I can't even count the number of times I've read people leaving a job say "yeah, what they did wasn't really legal, but I'm not going to fight it." I'm not saying that they're wrong -- I know that full bore legal action is time and money intensive -- but I do wonder why so many employers get away with breaking the law. These are cases where people incur losses and costs in the thousands, tens of thousands, of dollars: if someone broke into a house and stole that much, it'd be Grand Theft and nobody shrugs that off.

Speaking of job actions: The Times has a plaint by a blogger who thinks that blogging is a sufficient social good that employers should be required to show actual harm before firing a blogging employee. It'd be nice, but I doubt it....

No comments: