Thursday, February 23, 2006

Metablogging

Well, it was bound to happen: there's now a Carnival Of Blog Coverage, a roundup of the hype and furor about blogs, instead of in them.

All that's next, I guess, is an annual award for the Best Blog Awards: best categories, best voting/judging system (probably two categories: one for voted awards, one for judged awards), best announcements, best prize graphics, most effective promoter of field.....

Non Sequitur: Matt's Back! In addition to laying out his plans for a more diverse and sustainable blogging future, he includes a link to the Schmidt Sting Pain Index, which combines our cultural passion for quantification with our odd fascination with using adjectives in bizarre ways (much as wine tasters do). I do wish I could find a non-wikipedia reference for that scale: it's too satire-like for my taste.... funny, but not necessarily sound science.

2 comments:

reader_iam said...

Wow, this is the first time I've ever gone some place to say "thanks for the post, and I've linked" (because--in a weird, out-of-character brain burp--I seem to be unable to figure out trackbacks) only to find that there's a trackback already here.

I have NO idea how that happened. I'm stating this publicly, even though it makes me an ass, in the interest of edification.

If you can explain how this came to pass, you have no idea how appreciative I'd be.

Signed,

A Very Mystified RIA

Ahistoricality said...

Blogger's "Links" version of trackbacks is really efficient -- for other blogspot blogs, when posts are done at low traffic times such as the middle of the night. As far as I know there's no way to send them "by hand" the way you can with the more conventional trackbacks (which I don't understand at all, honestly).

Which is to say, I don't understand it either, but sometimes it works like a charm. Sometimes it never does: I've had posts linked to by non-blogspot blogs or other websites (did you know that if you blog about a Washington Post story, they link back to you? That's way cooler than the NYT popularity list) that never showed up as links.

Thanks for the link! I tell you, I get more fun out of the blog carnival announcement feed . . .