Thursday, November 17, 2005

Am I Average?

Just for fun, I'll bold the parts that match me:
He (or she) spends 95 percent of the time indoors [if you count time in cars], thinks abortion is morally wrong but supports the right to have one, owns an electric coffeemaker, has nine friends and at least one pet, and would rather spend a week in jail than become president. He (or she) lives within a 20-minute drive of a Wal-Mart, attends church at least once a month, prefers smooth peanut butter to chunky, lives where the average annual temperature is between 45 and 65 degrees [and there's some snow, according to the article], and believes that Jews make up 18 percent of the population (the actual figure is between 2 and 3 percent).
OK, I'm not terribly average. I knew that....

Other markers of normalcy cited in the article (the book has 140 criteria!) include
  • "12.7 years of education" [I'm a bit over that]
  • "a midsize car" [which gets, at last report, pretty much average gas mileage]
  • "in favor of marriages between blacks and whites"
  • "live in a one-unit owner-occupied detached dwelling, or private home"
  • "most Americans live in suburbs" [sorta]
yeah, I'm still not too average.

A quiz! We need a quiz!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have all the same in bold but then some more that I would also have:

thinks abortion is morally wrong but supports the right to have one

at least one pet (3)

would rather spend a week in jail than become president. (think about it. Do you really want the weight of the world resting on your shoulders?)

lives where the average annual temperature is between 45 and 65 degrees (I would assume so anyway) and there's some snow

live in suburbs

Yay! I'm more average than you.