Monday, November 28, 2005

Quotations #078

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

"If I were an antiquarian, I would have eyes only for the old stuff, but I am a historian. Therefore, I love life." -- Henri Pirenne to Marc Bloch

"The world always makes the assumption that the exposure of an error is identical with the discovery of the truth -- that error and truth are simply opposite. They are nothing of the sort. What the world turns to, when it has been cured of one error, is usually another error, and maybe one worse than the first one." -- H.L. Mencken

"Omnia mutantur; nihil interit." [All things are changed; nothing dies] -- Ovid, Metamorphoses 15,165.

"Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." -- Northcote Parkinson

2 comments:

Steve said...

Some good quotes! I may use a few of them myself!

Enjoyed your site!

http://kingofstevetopia.blogspot.com/

Ahistoricality said...

Looks like you've got a serious collection yourself. You might find more in the quotation index. And I'm going to put your blog in there, too, in the resource list.