Monday, March 20, 2006

Echoes....

Having taken the time to write a rebuttal to Rumsfeld's pseudo-historical rhetoric, I sent it to a few folks and the responses have been interesting. Ralph Luker added me to the list of responders, which I always appreciate. Sepoy sent me back his experience at an anti-war/anti-Bush rally in Chicago yesterday (with pictures: I think some anti-war organization should send a few hundred thousand of the "Don't Shoot Me, Dick!" t-shirts to Iraq and Iran, or maybe just to a few US bases.) which included a link to his friend pcds' recollections and comments on Rumsfeld's piece, which addresses some of the other slippery rhetoric.

The Cunning Realist also has some history, quotations from the Administration over the last few years about Nazi comparisons (apparently they can dish it out, but they can't take it) and History's Judgement. Juan Cole's got the Top Ten Disasters of the Third Year, to boot.

I also got in the mail, quite out of the blue an historical reminder of the search for Pancho Villa 88 years ago, which wasn't any more successful than the hunt for Osama.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

Interesting comparison. I like this site. I myself am a historian and love to look at such ironies.

Ahistoricality said...

Thanks; I see you're a music-lyrics poster, too: welcome!