Sunday, March 26, 2006

What He Said; What She Said

No, this isn't one of those "he-said-she-said" conundrums; I'm just agreeing with people because I don't have time to say it all myself.

One of the bad hangovers from high school composition has to be the error of mistaking a thesis statement for a thesis sentence. I can't write like that, even if I try. Not without nested parentheses....

The only thing wrong with Caleb's analysis of Cal Thomas' anti-CPT diatribe is that Caleb is taking Thomas way too seriously by thinking that his problem is with pacifism per se. Thomas, like Klinghoffer, etc., are instrumentalists who don't believe that a good aim (and whether we have one or not in Iraq is open to question, too) excuses any and all bad behavior, so anyone criticizing "us" must be collaborating with "them." Bullshit: Thomas and his ilk do "us" more harm in a day than all the Christian Pacifists in the world do in a generation.

Then there's Anne Zook, who blogs in fits and starts these days (as do I) and who's got a keen eye for the threads of the big story. She's asking for help, too: "What is that word that means a government by corporations?" Bourgeois democracy under monopoly capital? Hmm...

2 comments:

The Chainik Hocker said...

I hope that first link isn't meant as a criticism of my blog.

I write like that because I dropped out of high school (boo hoo- and now I'm a crack addicted single mother living in the ghetto, so stay in school, kids).

And if it wasn't meant as criticism- LOL, then, good linkage.

Ahistoricality said...

No, I didn't mean anybody specific, and I don't pick on people's blog writing unless it's incomprehensible or offensive and your blog writing is fine: I find that people who have something to say about something that actually interests them are usually pretty articulate. The problem is the people who are trying to write about stuff they have to and who are trying, more than anything else, to avoid making mistakes. You can see it in legalese, in hyper-tolerant multiculturalism, as well as academic writing.