Monday, June 12, 2006

Obscurity Meme

In honor of Ralph Luker [via]

Name a CD you own that you think no one else on your friendslistblogroll does: Lou and Peter Berryman, "Double Yodel" (for that matter, any of the half-dozen Berryman titles)

Name a book you own that you think no one else on your friendslistblogroll does: Sydelle Pearl, Elijah's Tears. Also, the entire Asimov Foundation series.

Name a movie you own on DVD/VHS/whatever that you think no one else on your friendslistblogroll does: "A Jumping Night in the Garden of Eden" (Klezmer documentary)

Name a place that you have visited that you think no one else on your friendslistblogroll has: Hicksville, New York (it's on Long Island, so I could be wrong about this, but I've always loved the name.)

Name a piece of technology or any sort of tool you own that you think no one else on your friendslistblogroll has: An abacus/calculator (solar powered!). Also a braille Dymo label gun.

2 comments:

Penny L. Richards said...

I've got an old cassette (pre-recorded) of "Jumpin' Night in the Garden of Eden," but not the DVD/video version. (Klezmer AND calypso, hm? Good to know I'm not alone there.)

And I married a physicist, so yeah, we've got the Foundation series paperbacks, somewhere in the garage...don't they check for that like a passport when you apply for an engineering job?

Ahistoricality said...

I thought the Foundation was a stretch, as far as obscurity goes. Apparently we need to revise our concept of "canonical" to take disciplinary culture into account....

I toyed with a technical career at one point, but what I love about Foundation is the historical process. I never read them until grad school.