Saturday, June 10, 2006

One Song Meme

One Song Meme via Tigerlily, who seems to be as much of a Les Miserables fan as I am.

One Song

One song from early childhood:
"Hair".... first record I wore out, I'm told.

One song you associate with your first big love:
Don Henley, "Sad Cafe"

One song that reminds you of one of your holidays:
"Oseh Shalom" for Shabbat.

One song you like, but hate to admit:
Garth Brooks Billy Ray Cyrus, "Achy Breaky Heart." Also, Pat Donohue's "Yucky Sushi Song." And "Oh Holy Night."

One song listened to while you were lovesick:
"Heaven Help my Heart" from Chess

One song you listened to most often in your life:
"This Land Is Your Land", possibly. or "Mary Ellen Carter." (not counting children's music)

One song which is your favorite instrumental:
This is impossible; it's a whole meme unto itself. My favorite instrumental of all time is Dvorak's "New World" symphony, but if I have to pick a pop song I'd go with ... Billy Joel's "Root Beer Rag." (I'm a sucker for piano rags and blues. And you can play almost anything on a hammer dulcimer and I'll sit and listen.) And you can pick a track at random from George Winston's "Summer" and it's engraved in my memory (there's that piano again). Klezmer....

One song by one of your favorite bands:
"Rosie" by The Mollys.

One song in which you recognize yourself or through which you somehow feel understood:
Stan Rogers, "The Idiot" (seriously, you have to listen to it)

One song which reminds you of a certain occasion (and the occasion):
Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody" reminds me of a Christmas drive through Kansas.
The entire musical "I Do! I Do!" gets played on our anniversary, just as my parents did (and still do).
Tom Paxton's "Outward Bound" was played at our wedding, and it's still the most romantic song I know.

One rap/hip-hop song you like:
Bzzz. Does "Talking Blues" count? 'Cause there's a couple of those....

One song that helps you relax:
Stan Rogers, "Working Joe"

One song which symbolizes a great time in your life:
Anything from "The Fantasticks"

One song which is your favorite at the moment:
Mary-Chapin Carpenter, "Why Walk When You Can Fly"

One song you would dedicate to your best friend:
(i.e. spouse) Garnet Rogers, "After All."

One song no one besides you likes:
No such thing. Most of the music I like is despised by some subgroup of my friends and acquaintances, but most of it is adored by some other subgroup thereof.... There are songs I don't talk about much, though. Leon Rosselson sings some of them.

One song you like because of its lyrics:
Stan Rogers, "MacDonnell on the Heights"

One song you like which is not in English:
"Si Buscabas" (sung by Holly Near)

One song that helps you work out:
heh. Though I actually got up and danced to Seth Farber's "Panic Attack Blues" the other night, so that counts for something.

One song that should be played at your funeral:
After you're done with the Mourner's Kaddish, sing a solid round of "Oseh Shalom." Then, assuming that it's some time in the distant future, just put my collection (which'll be digitized and online) on shuffle and see what happens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're the first person I've run across who knows anything from Chess other than "One Night in Bangkok." I have 3 different versions of the show music on CD. My personal favorites are "I Know Him So Well" and "The Arbitor's Song."

Ahistoricality said...

I played that tape incessantly in college. I love those songs, but if pressed to actually pick favorites, they'd be "Nobody's Side" and "Anthem." Which has to be the most contradictory pair possible....

Penny L. Richards said...

"Achy Breaky Heart" isn't by Garth Brooks, unless he covered it after Billy Ray Cyrus made it a hit?

I lived in North Carolina in the 1990s. So it's not really my fault that I know this. (The fact that "Achy Breaky Heart" is in my iTunes library *is* my fault, but I have a really good reason, honest...)

Ahistoricality said...

You don't need a good reason, other than that it's a funny song with a classic shit-kickin' beat. Thanks for the correction.