Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Flying Weenie

In Cedar Rapids, Iowa, there's a little hot dog joint called the Flying Weenie, which serves wonderful Nathan's dogs with chili and fresh-cut fries. Also, though I can't find a picture online, there's an airplane on top of the restaurant (and the engine block is inside by the counter).

We used to joke about the name being a new ultra-budget class of air travel: First-Class, Business Class, Coach and Weenie. Well, now someone's gone and suggested standing room sections on jumbo jets, and our only defense, as I see it, is going to be ridicule.

Inappropriately joyous non-sequitur: Naomi Chana, of Baraita, is back and blogging about Yom Hashoah and the First Crusade!

14 comments:

reader_iam said...

You're eating hot dogs in Cedar Rapids?

Now, that's interesting.

Ahistoricality said...

I have eaten hot dogs in Cedar Rapids. I've also gone to CR Kernels games. I'm doing neither of those things at this moment....

reader_iam said...

Ah. That's more what I would have thought.

Anonymous said...

Here's a
picture of the Flying Wienie... pretty good food!

Anonymous said...

The sport peppers are spicy. Damn that was delicious. I'm adding this place to my database.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit Nathans weiners are delicious, the fries tasted superb. The place was a delicious shit hole - Jerlin.

Anonymous said...

I can see this place from my window. It is an odd building with planes on it and a mysterious man in a suit...

Regards,

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm hmmmmm this is a tastey hot dog, cmon it will be fun.

Anonymous said...

In Dah Lab!

Anonymous said...

I like the hot dog ate there having lunch. Looks like I am going there sometime in future.

Anonymous said...

So like I went their for lunch. Hot dogs are like not two bad and the pryces where farely desent for qwollity nathan all meet dogs. Definently eet their aggan.

Anonymous said...

ok

Ahistoricality said...

Thanks for the picture, Trevis, though if I had my camera there, I'd be focusing more on the airplane on the roof than on the colors.

This is where I fell in love with fresh-made fresh-cut fries, too. We finally got a fry-cutter, and it's the best ten bucks I think I ever spent on kitchen equipment.

Anonymous said...

Ha. These were some yummie hot dogs. Haha. I enjoyed the yummie mustard sause that was drizzled all over the dogs. However, I had to wash my hands 3 times after eating the dog. I probably won't eat there again.