|Project Censored, 2008-2009|
1. US Congress Sells Out to Wall Street
2. US Schools are More Segregated than in the 1950s
3. Toxic Waste Behind Somali Pirates
4. Nuclear Waste Pools in North Carolina
5. Europe Blocks US Toxic Products
6. Lobbyists Buy Congress
7. Obama’s Military Appointments Have Corrupt Past
8. Bailed out Banks and America’s Wealthiest Cheat IRS Out of Billions
9. US Arms Used for War Crimes in Gaza
10. Ecuador Declares Foreign Debt Illegitimate
11. Private Corporations Profit from the Occupation of Palestine
12. Mysterious Death of Mike Connell—Karl Rove’s Election Thief
13. Katrina’s Hidden Race War
14. Congress Invested in Defense Contracts
15. World Bank’s Carbon Trade Fiasco
16. US Repression of Haiti Continues
17. The ICC Facilitates US Covert War in Sudan
18. Ecuador’s Constitutional Rights of Nature
19. Bank Bailout Recipients Spent to Defeat Labor
20. Secret Control of the Presidential Debates
21. Recession Causes States to Cut Welfare
22. Obama’s Trilateral Commission Team
23. World Water Forum a Corporate-Driven Fraud
24. Dollar Glut Finances US Military Expansion
25. Fast Track Oil Exploitation in Western Amazon
1. Charges that Barack Obama is not a natural born citizen of the U.S.
2. hundreds of top scientists tell Senate they believe claims of man-caused global warming are fraudulent
3. The true causes of the sub-prime mortgage meltdown, which point directly to the Democratic Party
4. Obama's ties to terrorists and extremists
5. The campaigns of third-party presidential candidates, especially Ron Paul's
6. The stunning success of the Iraq war
7. The sources of Obama's campaign contributions
8. Obama's far-left voting record
9. Bush's refusal to pardon imprisoned border agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean
10. Suppression of Dutch lawmaker Geert Wilders' film, "Fitna," which posits worldwide threat from Islam
This is the first year, I think, that I've actually heard all ten of the WND stories, probably because it was election year stuff which actually got a lot of play. This is typical for WND, though: their list is made up of stories which should have, they think, changed things; the fact that they were widely reported, usually debunked, and people moved on is evidence, as far as they're concerned, that the story was under-reported. It's not the same thing.
I'd heard of six of the top ten PC stories, 11 out of 25: I think that's a bit low for me (hmm, checking the past years, it's actually on the high side), but some of these, if true (and not overstated), clearly are under-reported. The ones I've heard of, mostly come from my leftist sources, but almost never make it into the wider, so-called "mainstream" media in any detail or depth.
You've got a stronger stomach than mine, finding your way through the World Net Daily. It never ceases to amaze me what ideologues will believe.
Well, mostly I just google for their "spiked stories" list, so I don't have to spend a lot of time over there.
What always gets me, though, is that the Project Censored list really does include stories which haven't hit either the mainstream or alternative press, while the WND list actually gets a lot of play -- in spite of being mostly fantasy and error -- because they've got Fox and Regnery leveraging their issues.
What bothers me is how much our supposedly "liberal media" lets them get away with. These false stories do get debunked, but not with the same kind of coverage the original untruth got. Covering both sides of the story does not mean presenting the truth and a lie side by side and leaving it up to the viewer to decide.
Post a Comment