Sunday, January 22, 2006

Blogger/Blogspot Accessibility

I like Blogger. Yeah, it doesn't have categories, or the ability to schedule posts in advance, but it's easy to use, reasonably reliable, free and pretty adaptable once you learn what you're doing.

But the "word verification" in comments -- as well as in the blog creation process -- is a barrier to participation on the part of visually impaired bloggers or readers. It's useful, but there are technically pretty easy workarounds that Google (which hosts Blogspot) could implement to make this media fully accessible.

I urge you to sign the brief petition calling on Google to be fair and open with regard to the visually impaired. I'd be happy to answer any technical questions you might have (if I don't know, my spouse does) in comments or by e-mail.

No comments: